Saturday, February 5, 2011

Dell XPS17


Dell XPS17
Originally uploaded by Patrick Hoesly

My new Dell XPS17
i7 M740 1.73 GHz
8 gig memory
1.2 T hard drive
Nvidia GT 445M 3 Gig
blueray / DVDrw
backlighted keyboard
1600x900 screen (I know this is lower than I would like)

I received this machine a couple weeks ago and finally got all my software installed. It really is a nice computer and functions as my mobile desktop. It runs my 3D software quite well. Fast motherboard, memory and hard drive (all standard) makes the system roar. The bright crisp screen is easy on the eyes and the back-lit keyboard makes it easy to use at night.

People ask me about how hot the machine gets, and you can feel the heat if it is sitting on your lap, however the fan (blowing out to the left) seems to be adequate enough to cool down the system. I've not seen any instability issues when the machine is running flat out, so I think Dell sized the fan to handle the potential load.

The only thing I dislike about the system is the low resolution screen (1600x900) they packaged with the system. I wish I had the option to upgrade the screen to a higher resolution. This also appears to be the biggest complaint from other customers.

I would highly recommend a Dell computer to anyone based on their accidental warranty and North American tech support (though it does cost more to get that service). In the past I have found Dell to be very helpful and they have been quick to remedy any parts which have failed (which have not been many).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there....
Thanks for leaving a comment. I appreciate you taking the time to contribute.
--- Patrick H.