Wednesday, June 22, 2011
Tuesday, June 21, 2011
So I went to lunch with a friend today at a local Mexican restaurant, Margaritas. This is a really wonderful place and the food is amazing.... however they flatly refuse to disclose nutritional information. I ordered 4 tacos (hard shell, beef, cheese, lettuce) on their buy 1 get 1 lunch special. So how many calories did I eat?
Again, as they refuse to post this information; Let me be the first to make a guess-estimation based upon several items online.
- Eat this not that: Says I should have ordered a burrito instead of tacos because of the frying process the taco shells undergo. My first blunder.
- The Lose-it app for the iPhone places general crunchy beef tacos at 571 calories each. DAMN!
- Another app, GoMeals, places a taco between 160 - 200 calories depending on ingredients.
- Comparing Margaritas tacos to Taco Bell tacos is not very scientific, but thankfully, Yum! Brands does give out nutritional information. Taco Bell beef tacos come in at 170 calories.
- An unnamed person did a great job of gathering Mexican meal nutritional information. It appears 2 small tacos are: 395 cal.
- Calorie Count website estimates a crunchy taco at 571! The same number as the Lose-it app. .... ugh... I can feel chest pains already.
So there is some discrepancy, so let me break this large fried taco down:
- Taco Shell (large): 100 calories
- Beef: 90
- Iceberg Lettuce: 10
- Cheese: 57
- Salsa: 10
- TOTAL: 267 calories
So... how many calories did I eat at lunch for the 4 tacos? Well I don't know for sure... but I will tend to error on the high side as Margaritas' tacos are a bit greasy (which makes them damn yummy... ya I know I disgust myself). So I'm guessing a Margareta fried taco is around 300 calories each. How did I get to this number. It seems to be within average of the online estimates and close to my estimate. I would love for the large restaurant to offer real hard numbers, but in the mean time, I'm sticking with my number.
Now for the sad part.... because I didn't eat breakfast, I was hungry and ate all 4. They filled me up... and added 1200 calories to my bottom line. Guess I need to get on that treadmill. :)